[b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 12:31 MLKN or MLBN?

Yigal Levin Yigal.Levin at biu.ac.il
Thu Sep 15 16:26:06 EDT 2011

Karl,

1. I don't have the Hebrew text of 4QSama, but Abegg, Flint and Ulrich's translation has "put them to work making bricks".

2. When I read this verse, it seems to me as if David is torturing the Ammonites, using various instruments, including something that has to do with bricks. But I don’t pretend to understand the details, not to mention the "ethical" side of it. The same is true for his treatment of the Moabites in 8:2.

3. You seem to assume that "only one pharaoh used fired bricks before the Greek era, and that was Raamesis II". This is the first time I've ever heard this claim. Could you point me to a reference? Not that it would convince me that Ramses II was the same as Necho, but interesting notwithstanding.

Yigal Levin