[b-hebrew] Caleb

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 12:19:55 EDT 2011

Jim:

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:42 AM, <JimStinehart at aol.com> wrote:

> It seems that most of us on the b-hebrew list agree that the name of
> Joshua’
> s stout ally, Caleb, cannot be a west Semitic name meaning “Dog”.

Don’t be presumptuous. Just because a couple of people tentatively agreed
with you by no means indicates that most of us do. (No, I did not read
beyond this first sentence.)

When we look at other names given, here giving their translations,
“Laughter”, “Crooked” as also in dealing dishonestly, “Vexation” as in
trouble, “Wearing away”, “Dog” sounds rather positive in comparison.

Karl W. Randolph.

BTW, what makes you think he was fat or heavy weight?