[b-hebrew] Does the Name Caleb Mean "Dog"? Not.

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Sep 13 20:31:26 EDT 2011

Jim, there's no need to apologise for exuberance. But this is very different to epistemic reality and humility. It would be far better to frame your conclusions relatively ('In my opinion…') than to make grand sweeping claims about the academy ('We have discovered a new way…'). One of the hallmarks of a scholar should be an awareness of the state of play and where consensus actually lies, rather than where one would like it to be. As far as I'm aware, Caleb's name has not been a mystery at all. And I find it hard to believe that there are Hurrians hiding under every rock in the ancient Levant.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia