[b-hebrew] Opinions on J. Wash Watts "A Survey of Syntax in the Hebrew Old Testament

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Nov 30 14:26:51 EST 2011

Dear Randall,

We have been over this many times in the past. But it seems to me
that Kevin may be relatively new to the list. So when you ask him to
ponder on something, he must know what the issues are.

The first example itself is clear. But in my view, it tells nothing
about the nature of Hebrew verbs. The use of expressions, such as the
use of MXR, are governed by linguistic convention; the word order can
be decisive, and 52 examples represent very few examples. First if
you show that WAYYIQTOL and QATAL never are used with reference to
the future, you have a case.

The basic requirement for any scholar is to define his expressions.
So I ask: The advice against an "aspect-only" view, is only
meaningful if you define aspect. Please give a clear definition of
aspect in Classical Hebrew, and tell us in clear terms what the
difference is between the imperfective aspect and the perfective
aspect.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli