[b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Wed Nov 23 17:13:40 EST 2011

Karl

Have you considered that reduction in the 'richness' of a language comes
not only when a language is no longer spoken 'natively', but also where
it is in reduced circumstances.  There are many examples that could be
chosen, but perhaps a more familiar example is that of the Celtic
languages.  It is not only in areas where Irish (for example) became a
second language that it's vocabulary and syntax became simplified, but
also in areas where it remained the main language.  You can still today
find children who before going to school have a very poor command of
English and can function fluently in Irish.  But their Irish is not as
rich, and never will be unless they actively work on it, as that of
Irish speakers 3 or 4 centuries ago.  The results you see as indicating
Hebrew is a 'learnt' language could just as easily indicate that Hebrew
is no longer the language for all activities, but could still be spoken
by the majority of the population as their native language.  It was the
loss of the literary classes to English that impoverished Irish.  Not
even that the nobility and scholars ceased to speak Irish, simply that
most moved the high level language activities to English.  In other
words, you had a situation of diglossia.  Irish remained in many areas
the first language a child learnt, and continued as the language in
which they conducted most of everyday life, but literature and formal
occasions called for English.  I think that fits better the stories of
Rabbis getting the meaning of rare Hebrew words from servants.  The
'upper classes' are likely to live more of their lives in situations
calling for the 'high' language, whereas the lower classes spend a much
greater proportion of their lives using the 'low' language.  I can no
more prove this situation existed than you can your theory, but it is
worth considering whether there are other scenarios apart from the one
you favour that can explain the data just as well - or even better.

Kevin Riley