[b-hebrew] Mishnaic Hebrew

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:44:32 EST 2011


Dewayne:

You took a quote of how I understand the situation concerning post-Biblical
Hebrew and ask me to give examples from late Biblical Hebrew to show it.
But then maybe I wasn’t clear enough that my understanding of the period
during when most of the DDS were written was as I described in the quote
you repeated.

The main thing I say about post-Babylonian Exile Biblical Hebrew is a lack
of the richness found in pre-Babylonian Exile Biblical Hebrew along with an
increased use of what appear to be materes lexionis (I am on record in that
I doubt that materes lexionis were used pre-Babylonian Exile and those
found in the text were full consonants). In other words, you want to see an
absence. Other than doing a long academic study that will take months, if
not years, which I haven’t done by the way, I don’t see how I can show an
absence. I am just mentioning a pattern that I have noticed.

Karl W. Randolph.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Dewayne Dulaney
<dewayne.dulaney at gmail.com>wrote:

> Karl, I'm willing to be convinced of your argument that
>
> >>Rather what you have is
> people speaking it as a second language, some very well copying aspects
> from Biblical Hebrew, others more like Hebrew words on an Aramaic grammar
> of that time. >>
>
> as far as the post-exilic writers of the Tanakh are concerned. Could
> you give us some examples from those books and show how they differ
> from the Hebrew of the books produced before the exile?
>
> Dewayne Dulaney
>
> On 11/22/11, K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com> wrote:
> > David:
> >
> > I looked at your documents linked to below, and found concepts that I
> > rejected decades ago because they did not fit the text of the Tanakh. In
> > other words, they are not the last word on the subject.
> >
> > In short, I don’t dispute the scholarship that went into the writing of
> > those documents. Rather I claim that the scholars that you depended on
> were
> > not accurate in their understanding of Biblical Hebrew. And I question
> some
> > of their other conclusions as well.
> >
> > As far as Mishnaic Hebrew, all I know about it is what I have read on
> this
> > list. As far as it being natively spoken, I have seen nothing that
> > indicates that it was nor proof that it wasn’t. Rather what you have is
> > people speaking it as a second language, some very well copying aspects
> > from Biblical Hebrew, others more like Hebrew words on an Aramaic grammar
> > of that time. Those selected to write documents would be chosen from
> among
> > the better speakers, until that class was largely wiped out by the
> Romans.
> > Hence one would expect to find a range of abilities before the Jewish
> > revolts against the Romans, and apparently that is what is found.
> >
> > But I do find indications that those who came to Judea after the
> Babylonian
> > exile to repopulate that empty land did not speak Hebrew on the street
> nor
> > at the hearth. I then extrapolate from that to expect that the same
> > situation probably continued through the Mishnaic period. So far I have
> > seen no evidence (scholars’ theories yes, but no evidence) that my
> > extrapolation is unfounded.
> >
> > Karl W. Randolph.
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:49 AM, David Steinberg <
> > david.l.steinberg at rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> >> There have been a number of mentions of Mishnaic Hebrew without any
> >> background re. its linguistic structure, relationship to Biblical Hebrew
> >> and Aramaic, history, or locations of use. For some info on the topic
> >> see the following and their links -
> >>
> >> Mishnaic, Middle or Rabbinic Hebrew -
> >> http://www.adath-shalom.ca/history_of_hebrew.htm#mishheb
> >>
> >> Development of Proto-Mishnaic Hebrew -
> >> http://www.houseofdavid.ca/anc_heb_diglossia.htm#koine_PMH
> >>
> >> David Steinberg
> >>
> >>
> > _______________________________________________
> > b-hebrew mailing list
> > b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/b-hebrew
> >
>
>
> --
> "In the world you will have trouble. But, be brave! I have defeated the
> world!"
> —John 16:33, DDV (Dewayne Dulaney Version)
>
> My Bible blogs: http://my.opera.com/Loquor/blog/ and
> http://hasopher.preachersfiles.com/
>
> Read my translation of the Gospel of John in the Blog at
> www.greekingout.com.
>


More information about the b-hebrew mailing list