[b-hebrew] Takhrir and Shikhrur

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Nov 22 20:15:03 EST 2011

Seems to me that TAXRIR is from the root XRR, 'perforate', namely
'breach a penetrating hole by locally scraping, fragmenting and
shredding the inner solid matter'. The added TA- and inserted -I- are
the personal pronouns ATAH and HI for the thing itself, as in Uri's
example TA-LM-IY-D. The late Hebrew $IXRUR is likewise from the root
XRR  but now with the inserted -U- for HU, and with the pre-attached
$I-, which seems to me to be a variant of $E-, or ZEH-, 'this'.

The root XRR or XR is a variant of KRH כרה 'dig', QR( קרע
'tear', (QR עקר 'uproot, extract', and many more. It is extended to
XRC חרץ 'scratch, score', XR$ חרש 'plow, furrow, trench', KRT
כרת 'cut, chop, pare', and many more.

The basic idea of all these roots is separation, detachment,
disconnection, disengagement, and hence, by implication, 'set free,
turn loose'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University