[b-hebrew] Takhrir and Shikhrur

Yigal Levin Yigal.Levin at biu.ac.il
Mon Nov 21 17:31:37 EST 2011

I have not checked this, and since I'm sitting at the food court of the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco at the moment I have no way to check, but I think that the root of Tahrir is cognate to the Hebrew XRR (Het Resh Resh), from which we get the Mishnaic Hebrew Herut and "Benei Horin" (free men). I don't recall this root in the Bible.

I think (but am not sure) that "Shihrur" is a modern form, using the binyan Shaph'el, common in Akkadian but not in Classical Hebrew, but very much used in Modern Hebrew (Shakhpel - replicate; Shakhtev - rewrite; Shadreg - up(or down)grade; and so Shahrer - make free).

Karl is of course correct that Hebrew SH is often paralleled by Aramaic T. This is also true for Arabic, and thus Hebrew Shnayim (two) is Arabic Tneyn, Aramaic Tarten; Hebrew Shalosh (three) is Thalath and so on. I don't know enough Arabic grammar to know what binyan Tahrir is, but it's obviously related.

Yigal Levin