[b-hebrew] Song of Deborah

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Thu Nov 17 11:05:43 EST 2011

Chavoux:

for ‘Shamgar’,” you wrote:

"‘He live(d/s) there’ ??”

1.  As far as I know, no other Biblical name has a west Semitic format of
that type.  No scholar has suggested such an interpretation of that name.

2.  The Hurrian name $a-am-g/xa-ri is historically attested, and only in
the Late Bronze Age.  Ditto re XBR/Xavur, and Y(L/A-al-la, and QYNY/Qa-a-ni-ya
in the Song of Deborah.  Shamgar’s title, ben Anat, is attested only in the
Late Bronze Age and the early Iron Age.  The point of the Song of Deborah
is that the Hebrews, shortly after the end of the Late Bronze Age, absorbed
the small remaining Hurrian military remnant, which was the final step in the
Hebrews becoming the dominant people of non-coastal Canaan, as predicted at
Genesis 15: 18-21.  In this connection, note that in Judges we are
introduced to Xavur [‘Heber’] by the statement at Judges 4: 11 that “Heber the
Kenite…had severed himself from the Kenites”.  [In Hurrian, (i) Xavur means “
Heaven”, (ii) A-al-la means “The Lady”, and (iii) Qa-a-ni-ya is based on an
Akkadian verb with Hurrian characteristics and means “Teshup Is Firm”.]

Thus both the proper names in the Song of Deborah, and its substantive
content, suggest that it was composed shortly after the close of the Late Bronze
Age, about 400 spring and fall New Years (per Genesis 15: 13) after the
Patriarchal Age, which per Genesis 15: 18-21 had featured a majority of the
officially-appointed mayors in Canaan being Hurrian charioteers.  The Late
Bronze Age proper names XBR/Xavur and QYNY/Qa-a-ni-ya are shared by the Song of
Deborah and the Patriarchal narratives, and in addition to that, the
Patriarchal narratives have dozens of additional proper names that are attested
outside of the Bible solely in the Late Bronze Age.

The scholarly view that the Patriarchal narratives were ginned up by
multiple 1st millennium BCE authors is contradicted by the dozens of Late Bronze
Age proper names in the text.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois