[b-hebrew] Song of Deborah

R. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Sun Nov 13 12:36:23 EST 2011

There always are allegedly new claims to "prove" that the Song of Deborah is young and late. If you read German, you would learn that almost not a single "argument" is really new, some arguments are already challenged a hundred times, also some are already refuted methodologically. Some might say so, some different. With a look on older German literature, i.e. of the 20th century, one would have also learned already that it is always easier to claim that a text is young or late than to prove it's old age.

Anyway, MY OPINION for a bunch of mainly philological reasons is that it is old, maybe 10th or 11th, and maybe also dialectal.

As for the other question:
> 2)  In determining the date of composition of the Song of Deborah, how much weight, if any, should be given to the proper names in the received text?

Nothing. What's in a name? Names are long-living, even if they contain log-vanished Gods as theophoric. Names are worth almost few if anything when pondering the age of a text. With names, you can only prove that a text is young - see above.

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨
Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Academic Director
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
FB 01/ Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg-University of Mainz
D-55099 Mainz
Germany
lehmann at uni-mainz.de
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de
http://www.ev.theologie.uni-mainz.de/297.php
Subsidia et Instrumenta Linguarum Orientis (SILO):
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/182.php
10th  Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH):
http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php