[b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

Uzi Silber uzisilber at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:54:32 EDT 2011

Andronic,

I didnt suspect any ploytheism here. I was just wondering about the
plural singular plural switch. I thought it might have been a scribal
error.  Thinking about it again, I wonder if the Masorets had changed
what was once plural into singular.

וַיֹּאמַר:  אֲדֹנָי, אִם-נָא מָצָאתִי חֵן בְּעֵינֶיךָ--אַל-נָא
תַעֲבֹר, מֵעַל עַבְדֶּךָ.   יֻקַּח-נָא מְעַט-מַיִם, וְרַחֲצוּ
רַגְלֵיכֶם; וְהִשָּׁעֲנוּ, תַּחַת הָעֵץ.   וְאֶקְחָה פַת-לֶחֶם
וְסַעֲדוּ לִבְּכֶם, אַחַר תַּעֲבֹרוּ--כִּי-עַל-כֵּן עֲבַרְתֶּם,
עַל-עַבְדְּכֶם;

Yigal,

Perhaps the Tiberians changed 'taavroo' to 'taavor' and 'avdechem' to
'avdecha'.  This would have required only a bit of 'nip and tuck'.
That would have kept it all plural.

Uzi Silber