[b-hebrew] k'ehad mimenou

Uzi Silber uzisilber at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 06:51:35 EDT 2011

My 8 year old son is studying Breisheet (Genesis) 18 in school, the
story of Abraham and the three visitors. In it Abraham addresses them
as 'adonay' (plural of adonee -- 'gentlemen' essentially). but then he
suddenly changes to singular, as if he's addressing a single person.
He then reverts back to plural.

Now Im suspect that the devout would say that this means he realized
that the malakhim were angels and that they were essentially god's
reps, and thats why he addresses them in singular.

But how would nondevout biblical scholars explain this
plural-singular-plural switch? scribal mistake?

Uzi Silber