[b-hebrew] Notation in Holladay's Lexicon

Kevin Buchs kevin.buchs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 08:03:38 EDT 2011

It seems to me that there are many *secrets *of the Holladay lexicon and
other lexicons which are not documented. Perhaps you can help me with these
questions. Reference the entry for nathan (NFTAN), in the 1988 edition (13th
impression) on page 249. In the grammatical forms section (preceding
definition) there are entries for imperfects (impf.). The second one is
YIT.EN- . Does the ending meqqeph indicate that this is a form that only
appears with object suffixes? Additionally, I find myself asking regularly
if the listed grammatical forms are intended to be the exhaustive list of
Hebrew Bible uses or is it only a list of non-regular forms, which cannot be
determined from my beginning text book (e.g. Seow).

Thank you.
Kevin Buchs