[b-hebrew] Range of OT TC Methodologies?

Hedrick Gary GaryH at cjfm.org
Tue Jul 12 03:16:37 EDT 2011

Well, Philip, you and Pere are persistent, I'll give you that much.

If we stray too much here, however, the moderators are going to tell us to take it to one of the TC groups.

Here's an excerpt on the TC of the OT Hebrew text from the Dictionary for the Theological Interpretation of the Bible (Craig G. Bartholomew, Daniel J. Treier, and N. T. Wright Associate Editors). Maybe something either here or in the bibliography that follows it will provide a spark that will help you in some way:

The OT textual critic will be careful to assess a variety of aspects of the NT quotation (form, introduction, selection, application, history, and function) in the context of the range of developing interpretations in intertestamental Judaism. The NT textual critic should be careful to look beyond the confines of Christian manuscripts and developments in the early church. One needs to assess the form and function of the text in the MT, LXX and versions, Qumran, Samaritan Pentateuch, and Hellenistic Judaism in Alexandria and elsewhere, and to view the NT’s use of OT texts as a part of this larger stream of developing interpretations. What is shared with that stream and what is uniquely Christian will come clearly into focus. The textual critic, then, as full partner in the interpretative task, offers some of the earliest and best data for the theological interpretation of Scripture.

Bibliography
Aland, K., and B. Aland. The Text of the New Testament, trans. E. F. Rhodes. Eerdmans, 1987; Bauer, W. Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity, trans. G. Strecker. Fortress, 1971; Black, D. A., ed. Rethinking New Testament Textual Criticism. Baker, 2002; Ehrman, B. The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture. Oxford University Press, 1993; Ehrman, B., and M. Holmes. The Text of the New Testament in Contemporary Research. Eerdmans, 1995; Epp, E. J. “The Multivalence of the Term ‘Original Text’ in New Testament Textual Criticism.” HTR 92 (1999): 245–81; Hort, F. J. A., and B. F. Westcott. The New Testament in the Original Greek. Cambridge University Press, 1882; Housman, A. “The Application of Thought to Textual Criticism.” In Selected Prose, ed. J. Carter. Cambridge University Press, 1961; Jobes, K., and M. Silva. Invitation to the Septuagint. Baker, 2000; Kilpatrick, G. The Principles and Practice of New Testament Textual Criticism, ed. J. Elliott. BETL 96. Louvain University Press/Peeters, 1990; Metzger, B. The Text of the New Testament. 3d ed. Oxford University Press, 1992; Parker, D. The Living Text of the Gospels. Cambridge University Press, 1997; Roberts, C. Manuscript, Society and Belief in Early Christian Egypt. Oxford University Press, 1979; Tov, E. Textual Criticism of the Hebrew Bible. 2d rev. ed. Fortress/Royal Van Gorcum, 2001; Vanhoozer, K. Is There a Meaning in This Text? Zondervan, 1998.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA