[b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Abraham and Abimelech

rob acosta robacosta at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 17:54:24 EDT 2011

Brief note regarding the Genesis Apocryphon as an expanded version of Genesis 13:18
Jim stated he thought the Apocyrphon said Abraham traveled the world in Genesis 13:18 and correctly claims no Scholar would make that claim...and rejects the Apocryphon for this reason.
However, Jim apparently did not read the text very carefully as  the Apocryphon doesn't the claim Abrahamwent "around the world" but  gives an accurate representation of the lands settled by all of Abraham's seed..
The actual text describing Abraham's journey in the Apocryphon.
"And I, Abram, departed to travel about and see the land.' I began my journey at the river Gihon and traveled along the coast of the sea until I came to the Mountain of the Bull [Taurus]. I (Southern Turkey)Then I traveled from the coast of the Great Salt Sea and journeyed towards the east by the Mountain of the Bull, across the breadth of the land, until I came to the river Euphrates. I journeyed along the Euphrates until I came to the Red Sea in the east, and I traveled along the coast of the Red Sea until I came to the tongue of the Sea of Reeds] which flows out from the Red Sea. Then I pursued my way in the south until I came to the river Gihon, and returning, I came to my house in peace and found all things prosperous there. I went to dwell at the Oaks of Mamre'
God's original promise to Abraham  Genesis 15:18
"In that same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, To thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates:"
and Exodus23:31 "And I will fix your boundaries from the Red Sea to the Mediterranean Sea, and from the eastern wilderness to the Euphrates River"
   This clearly not a journey "around the world" as Jim, claims but a journey around the original boundaries of Canaan and very possibly the land that would go to Ishmael and Abraham's sons by Keturah.
The location of the river "Gihon" is only speculated...but given the fact we know Abraham started from in Bethel it would belogical to assume the River Jordan is the Gihon...it did have a flow equal to the present day Missouri at the time.

   Jewish traditions are clearly  disdained by those such as Jim in favor of the latest fad by "University Scholars", reflecting a clearbias, but the Apocryphon, more than 2,000 years old, gives valuable insight into the ancients view of the world that should not be so quickly dismissed.
      Careful study is required, not a casual glance
Rob Acosta