[b-hebrew] Genesis 13:18 Abraham and Abimelech

rob acosta robacosta at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 1 16:18:49 EDT 2011

Jim     You wrote:     " Based on Genesis 14: 4, we can deduce that Abram and Lot leave Bethel in Year 13.  "
      This statement is pure fabrication and is irrelevant to the discussion of Genesis 13:18.  and my focus to whetheror not Abraham obeyed the command literally and immediately.     I could demonstrate you don't have a accurate grasp of the events of the Amarna period but this is not the time.
     Still, you go on:     "Abram cannot perfect his claim to all of Canaan until Lot’s provisional claim to the northern two-thirds of    Canaan, which Abram effectively allowed at Genesis 13: 9-11, has been eliminated"
     Jim, where does this "northern two thirds" come from? It is fantasy, there is nothing in the Hebrew textthat gives any such indication. The land was promised to Abraham and Abraham alone from the beginningyet you drag in Lot time after time and some froth about a "provisional claim" mentioned nowhere.        you do seem to be personally taken by "provisional claim"...sounds impressive I guess, to some.                               As for your description of the political situation in Canaan let's review again how inaccuratemost  of your claims have been.     You have insisted, for years, the Abimeleck of Abraham is Abi Milku of the Armana letters.     Yet even a casual reading the the letters tells a far different story.     Abi Milku was appointed as mayor of Tyre by Akhenaten after the murder of the real King and his family.     EA 89 letter Rib Addi      After a few brief years Abi Milku leaves Tyre amidst the wars and NEVER returns.
     " I go away with all the ships and my whole city so let the King care for his servant and protect the ships of the King in..." (number 155 letter 10)."
      Abi Milku is likely murdered before he gets to Egypt as he is never heard from again. Nor is he ever referred to by any other ruler. He must have been a minor player only stage for a brief few years.     Yet, you claim Mamre is named after Abi Milku and that some twenty years after his death Abraham dashes off to interact with Abi Milki because according to you he cannot "perfect his claim" on Canaan and Sarah cannot get pregnant until he sees Abi Milku.    You take a bit player in the Amarna period and make him the foundation of Genesis    This is your record. It is obvious you did not study Abi Milku.   .    Now you claim the political situation of the time is the real reason why Abraham and Lot leave Bethel, andthe biblical version in the bible that it was due to strife between the shepherds is a lie.
You repeat yet again" we can then see the  p-i-n-p-o-i-n-t  accuracy of this Biblical text in the historical context of Year 13.  There is no way that multiple authors in the 1st millennium BCE would know all these precise details about the  e-x-a-c-t  historical situation as of early in Year 13! "Jim, you yourself have no clue what happened in year thirteen and that is painfully obvious to even the casual researcher.You present what I consider grade school level Amarna history here. Again, some may be impressed, but to me this is  simplistic nonsense for the most part.. You invent myths like Abi Milku  and now you inject Lab’ayu  in yet another distortion of events.   I can dismantle your Labayu story as easily as I did Abi Milku. The flaws in chronology as as plain as the sun.      Of course, when faced with authoritative contradiction, you claim everyone else is wrong, not you.     *You disputed  King Suppiluliumas' own record describing  the capture of Aitakama   and claimed he was wrong, thathe actually captured Aitakama in some secret raid a year earlier.... " Now that was a doozy   * You dismissed Israel Finklestein's petrographic evidence Aziru had yet to control  Amurruby the time the Great Syrian war was over.  You claim camels can't live in Hebron in winter. Too cold....so OBVIOUSLY Abraham couldn'tlive there...  You claim Hebron can't support more than a few cows. Not enough watermoutains too high... Nevermind it supports 250,000 people  Now you claim the Dead Sea Scrolls that confirm Abraham immediately obeyed God's order  in Genesis 13:18 is "fanciful"   This is your pattern. Everyone, including Abraham, is wrong. he lied about theshepherds., lied about Abimelech...       I contend Abraham followed God's order in Genesis 13:17-18. He Obeyed God, no matter ifyou are convinced he did not. HE traveled the land(not the world and the Dead Sea Scrollsdon't say he traveled the world). He traveled in peace. He wasn't concerned about Labayu,there was no Labayu at that time. He traveled during a time of peace in Canaan.     Lot was irrelevant to his journey. Lot was irrelevant to Abraham's inheritance.   ...
Rob Acosta