[b-hebrew] All OT Texts from Either LXX or MT?

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Wed Apr 27 17:25:40 EDT 2011

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 27 16:19:58 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 01:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Philip <philipengmann at
yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Listees,
>
> I wish to make a statement that I would need confirmation of--in other
> words, a statement which I am not totally sure of, and it is this:
>
> All complete Old Testament texts that exist in the world today are
derived
> either from the MT or the LXX.
>
> Could this be a true statement?

Dave Donnelly comments:

It is my understanding that the Ben Chayim Hebrew text of 1525 A.D. was
basically derived from the Leningrad Codex of  1008-1010 A.D. yet in the
Ben Chayyim Hebrew Text of 1525 A.D.
6518 occurrences of Hebrew Word # 3068 exist [yod-shewa-heh-defective
holem-waw-qamets-heh].

It appears to me that the authors involved in creating the Ben Chayyim
Hebrew text just might have been trying to push the translation "Jehovah"
 as an accurate translation of  [yod-shewa-heh-defective
holem-waw-qamets-heh] a.k.a. Strongs Hebrew Word #3068.

Can any one who posts here provide some reason why so many occurrence of
[yod-shewa-heh-defective holem-waw-qamets-heh] occur in the Ben Chayyim
Hebrew text of 1525 :A.D. while possibly less than 500 occurrences of
[yod-shewa-heh-defective holem-waw-qamets-heh] occurs in the Leningrad
Codex.

Of course the editors of Codex L. placed 6 different variants of YHWH in
the Leningrad Codex.

Dave Donnelly

5