[b-hebrew] All OT Texts from Either LXX or MT?

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 27 16:19:58 EDT 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 01:24:04 -0700 (PDT), Philip <philipengmann at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Listees,
>
> I wish to make a statement that I would need confirmation of--in other
> words, a statement which I am not totally sure of, and it is this:
>
> All complete Old Testament texts that exist in the world today are derived
> either from the MT or the LXX.
>
> Could this be a true statement?

I don't think it's quite true.  Jerome translated the OT from Hebrew
manuscripts available to him, not the LXX.  Although it seems that the Hebrew
text he used was quite similar to the MT (and therefor might be termed a
proto-MT), since it precedes what we would now refer to as the MT, I don't
think it can be said that it derives from it in the strict sense.

--
William Parsons