[b-hebrew] What MASORAH did the MASORATES follow?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Apr 26 08:40:58 EDT 2011

I agree with you on the the *qatal, *qatil, *qatul of "proto-
semitic", yet, considering the astounding rate of change of present-
day Hebrew (see the article on the fate of the xirik) it is fair to
assume that pure "proto-semitic" did not last more than 50 years.
Also, the "masorates" are possibly but some poor young, newly
arrived, Karaites in the godforsaken town of Tiberias under Beduin
rule in the 9th century. Did they "trace back" their MASORAH to
"cognate languages"? What made them place a dagesh in the T of KATON-
TIY of Genesis 32:11?

Isaac Fried, Boston University