[b-hebrew] Someone knows?

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:27:47 EDT 2011

Karl egrapse
>However, to maintain that reading, I would have to assume that here we are

dealing with a copyist error, as the form of the word does not fit that
meaning.>

Excuse me, but there is no copyist error here.

As explained previously,
short vowels are not normally written with helping consonants in the 1st
Temple.

Joining hemiyt 'he put to death' with the subject suffix -tem closed the
unaccented,
penultimate syllable, resulting in a short vowel.

The correct and expected orthography was none other than
המתם   hmtm
hamittem, with accent on final syllable.

Pere should have commented on the fact that this answered his original
question. Perhaps it was missed in the list of responses.

braxot
Randall Buth

--
Randall Buth, PhD