[b-hebrew] Someone knows?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Apr 18 15:57:44 EDT 2011

Some thoughts on KEN - KIN-O, LEB - LIB-O, etc. :

1. The augmented form KIN-O, 'his nest', with an "I" sound, evokes
the suspicion that it possibly preserves an older KIN noun form.
Namely, that in the distant past Hebrew lacked the O and E sounds,
and had to do with only the "basic" A, I, U sounds.

2. The fact that KIN-O has a dagesh in the letter N implies that the
xireq sound was the accepted reading already at the time of the DAG
$ANIYM, well before the time of the NAQDANIYM.

3. You are right that the "official" XASAR HANIYQUD spelling of KIN-O
is without a yod, but I do insert it whenever I think it may lead to
a misunderstanding.

Isaac Fried, Boston University