[b-hebrew] Someone knows?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Apr 18 08:24:40 EDT 2011

1. It should be on their website, or in their pamphlet on the KTIYB
XASAR HANIYKUD. Where exactly I don't know since I never go there,
but I have it from absolutely reliably sources. They also "mandate"
$ERUT, 'service', to be spelled $YRUT with a yod. The end result of
all this will be that people will start to pronounce these words with
a xireq: HIYRAYON, $IYRUT.
2. All these "proposals" are mere silly games; it will never happen.
3. The moot (actually the mute), or Talmudic, question is this: There
is a dagesh in the letter M of IMA, 'mother', implying, according to
the prevailing wisdom, that this consonant should be "doubled". But,
the addition of a yod to bring to the spelling IYMA removes the need
for this dagesh. So, is it IMMA, but only IYMA, or what?

Isaac Fried, Boston University