[b-hebrew] Someone knows?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Apr 16 21:53:35 EDT 2011

I would say HA-KTIYB XASAR HA-NIYQUD V-XASAR HADIGU$, since the DIYGU
$ is, in my opinion, independent of the NIYKUD.
I think that the custom today is to routinely insert a yod after an
unmarked xireq (leading to such disagreeable "official" spellings as
אימא 'mother'), albeit with some exceptions. See here for the
"rules":

http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D7%99%D7%91_%D7%97%D7%A1%D7%
A8_%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%93
In fact, here:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/t/k/k0417.htm

the unpunctuated word HAMITEM of Nu. 17:6 is written with a yod,
thus: המיתם

In Nu. 17:6 HAMITEM has a (in my opinion, pre-NIYQUD) dagesh in the
letter T to recall the xireq under the letter M, suggesting, by the
antiquity of the dagesh, that the word was "always" lacking a yod.
If I were younger I would start a campaign for the restoration of the
dgeshim system in the KTIYB XASAR HA-NIYQUD, as it was in ancient
times, before the invention of the NIYQUD, thus: אמּא .

In 1Sa 2:25 LAHAMIYTAM lacks a dagesh in the T since the word is
written in full with a yod after the xireq. The yod hints to the
xireq, making a further dagesh hinter unnecessary, suggesting, by the
antiquity of the dagesh, that the word was "always" written with a yod.

Isaac Fried, Boston University