[b-hebrew] hiriq, tzereh, dagesh

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Apr 15 18:26:19 EDT 2011

You are right. The thought that the dagesh is an ancient diacritical
marking independent of the NIKUD is indeed but a theory. There is not
a shred of evidence to the "exact opposite" claim that the dagesh
marks an obsolete (and apparently bizarre) vocal doubling of a
consonant.

Isaac Fried, Boston University