[b-hebrew] Northern and Southern Hebrew?

Chavoux Luyt chavoux at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:50:04 EDT 2011

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but maybe
somebody could point me in the right direction?

In one of my Biblical Archaeology books the claim is made (pretty
convincingly) that a difference in dialect between the Northern (Israel) and
Southern (Judah) kingdom can be seen in Iron Age (split kingdom era)
archaeological remains. Specifically, the bullae (seals) with personal names
shows that names with the divine Name as part of it, use mostly Yod Waw in
the North, but Yod He Waw in the South.

Is there any indication in the Hebrew Bible of a similar difference? (E.g.
between the prophets in the North vs. those in the South). Or has all
differences between the two "dialects" been removed by later scribes?

Regards
Chavoux Luyt