[b-hebrew] Hireq & sere

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Apr 13 10:20:11 EDT 2011

HIZMIYNU, 'they invited, they ordered', is written in "full", plene,
with a yod following the mem, and consequently there is no dagesh in
the letter N. The dagesh is, in my opinion, a very ancient cue for
the xirik, and is superfluous in the presence of a vowel.
The dagesh in HIZMANU, 'we invited, we ordered', follows a patax, and
is there as expected. I think that what you mean by "hearing" the
dagesh is the faint natural doubling of any consonant, here N,
situated between two vowels, here A and U. One hears it in AB-BIY,
'my father', AX-XIY, 'my brother', etc. Those who say they don't hear
it need to pay closer attention.

Isaac Fried, Boston University