[b-hebrew] Hireq & sere

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:00:24 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Pere Porta <pporta7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear listers,
>
> I need to know whether in normative Hebrew one finds the pattern consisting
> of three root consonants, the first having vowel hireq and the second having
> vowel sere (and the third one having... nothing).
>
> I exclude from my issue the basic Piel form of verbs like NI)"C, to spurn
> (2Sa 12:14), namely those having a guttural for their second root consonant.
>
> Does this pattern exist in the real Hebrew language, be it biblical or
> modern?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Pere Porta
> (Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

Pere,
behind your question I hear the valid observation about pi``al and pi``el.
In antiquity some pi``el verbs were vocalized
ibbad "destroyed", nittats 'destroyed'
and some were vocalized like
biqqesh 'searched, requested', hillel 'praised', shiHet 'corrupted'.

Today, everything is 'regularized' into a pi``el pattern like shillem
'paid',
while in antiquity the form was shillam 'paid'.

We also have three 'segol' pie``el in dibber 'spoke', kipper 'atoned',
and kibbes 'washed'.

The pi``al, in fact, was a common type of pi``el. A verb, of course, was
one or the other, not both or either, except for changes caused by pausal
forms.

Hope that helps

Randall

--