[b-hebrew] Hireq & sere

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 07:42:09 EDT 2011

  Dear Pere Porta,

  The answer to your question is "yes". This 'Pi(el' verbal form is quite common. In modern Heb. the Dagesh in the sceond consonant is not pronounced.

  Uri Hurwitz               Great Neck, NY

 Dear listers,

I need to know whether in normative Hebrew one finds the pattern consisting
of three root consonants, the first having vowel hireq and the second having
vowel sere (and the third one having... nothing).

I exclude from my issue the basic Piel form of verbs like NI)"C, to spurn
(2Sa 12:14), namely those having a guttural for their second root consonant.

Does this pattern exist in the real Hebrew language, be it biblical or
modern?

Kind regards

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)