[b-hebrew] The vowels of אֶחָד

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:49:38 EDT 2011

> You do realize, I hope, that my response was tongue in cheek?

of course

> I think I disagree about it being 'sub-phonemic'.

Not when defined.

A phoneme is a sound unit that can distinguish meaning.
The 'virtual dagesh' and the 'virtual tsere' cannot distinguish
meaning in this word or environment.

> True, I doubt anyone hearing the word with a slightly
> different initial vowel would have misunderstood the sense.

Exactly. Non-phonemic.

> But it must
> have *sounded* like a seghol to them, as opposed to some other vowel.

Of course.

>  Now I
> think the phonemic system was not necessarily a Hebrew phonology -

This is best dropped because it brings in too many variables and
starts to blur phonetics and phonology.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicallanguagecenter.com