[b-hebrew] The vowels of אֶחָד

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 12:49:20 EDT 2011

     Where is this "double-heth"?  where is the evidence for it?

     Those Heths and other gutturals do not take a Dagesh forte.

     The Masoretes who had sharp ears, simply did not hear doubling
in these letters.

     And let's keep in mind that in some cases when the Heth
 or the Ayin in the beginning of a word are vocalized with a
 Qamatz, the article was pronounced with a Segol.

     Uri Hurwitz                           Great Neck, NY

.....> In both אֶחָד and  כֶּחָשׁ, the second consonant is heth, which often undergoes virtual doubling. We see this occurring when the definite article is added to a noun beginning with heth. Thus, for both these nouns, we actually have a double-heth, but it is not actually marked.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au