[b-hebrew] Plural of חֵרֵשׁ (deaf)

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 07:02:48 EDT 2011

Hi Pere!

Firstly, 'reduction' is a technical term meaning to remove a vowel and have its place taken by a shewa. So, that's we are observing with the second sere in חֵרְשִׁים.

Secondly, the examples you give for proving your point are all verbs. Since verbs follow their own verb paradigms with distinctive features for each stem, of course you will find things different there. The 'normal conditions' I was referring to was the declension of the noun. What happens in verb conjugations is not germane to what happens in noun declensions. By proper grammatical process, the first sere in חֵרְשִׁים should become a hatef-patah through vowel reduction, leaving the second sere intact. My question is, why does this not happen?

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au