[b-hebrew] Ecles 10:2

Barry H. nebarry at verizon.net
Wed Apr 6 23:42:53 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Athas" <George.Athas at moore.edu.au>
To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ecles 10:2

> Doug,
>
> The term 'hand' (יד) is not actually there in the Hebrew text. This is not
> a political statement (they wouldn't have had the right-left political
> spectrum we refer to today). Instead, it is a reference to the generic
> ancient belief that the right hand side was proper and 'right' (we even
> preserve this notion in our English term), while the left was improper,
> weak, or sinister. This notion of the 'sinister' is still preserved in
> some Latin-based languages like Italian, in which 'left' is 'la sinistra'.

Indeed, the Latin word for "left" is 'sinister' and carries precisely that
range of meaning -- it can mean literally "left-handed" or "on the left
side," or it can mean what we mean by "improper, weak, or sinister."

N.E. Barry Hofstetter, semper melius Latine sonat...
Classics and Bible Instructor, TAA
http://www.theamericanacademy.net
(2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner)
V-P of Academic Affairs, TNARS
bhofstetter at tnars.net
http://www.tnars.net

http://mysite.verizon.net/nebarry