[b-hebrew] Daniel 12:10 and Jeremiah 22:7

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:03:42 EDT 2011

Kenneth,

If I understand you rightly, I would say:

--An example of short spelling: yaktiru, they will cause to surround (Ps
142:8)

--Some examples of long spelling of the same pattern:
in Is 1:18 we find two examples. In Jb 35:9 there is another example.

Is this enough for you?

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

2011/4/4 <joel at exc.com>

> >In Dan. 12:10 the word "wise ones" is spelled hay mem sin kaf lamed
> >yud mem, but I thought it is supposed to have another yud in it as a
>
> In general, the vocalic YUD was only used when deemed necessary, so,
> yes, it's common to find it "omitted" from what we would consider
> normal spelling.
>
> There also seems to have been a mild aversion to using two vocalic
> YUDs in the same word. MASKILIM has a YUD in the plural ending -IM,
> making it less likely that we'd see a YUD in the middle of the word,
> and similarly with MASHCHITIM.
>
> -Joel
>

> Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
> http://www.lashon.net
>
> Have you seen my new videos exploring the Bible?
> http://www.ExploringTheBibleVideos.org<http://www.exploringthebiblevideos.org/>
> "Longer than a Soundbite. Shorter than a Lecture."

Pere Porta