[b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Fw: Re: Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110...

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Jun 29 13:34:58 EDT 2010

Dear Ted,

Research without presuppositions is impossible; an atheist or an
agnostic may be just as sectarian as a person belonging to a
Christian denomination, or one being an orthodox Jew or a Muslim.
And a scholar who belongs to a religious denomination may be more
balanced than one who does not have any religious faith.

I take issue with your claim that a preference for the form "Jehovah"
must be faith-based and sectarian. A few years ago I translated many
Ugaritic Baal-texts into Norwegian, and I also translated several
Biblical passages dealing with Baal. In these passages I
transliterated God's name as YHWH, because I took  the target group
into consideration.

I have worked a lot with the name YHWH, since I wrote a thesis about
it for my MA degree many years ago. Recently I have completed a study
of all the uses of YHWH and its substitutes in the Dead Sea scrolls
(the principal purpose was to find if )DNY was ever used as a
substitute for YHWH in B.C.E.-the conclusion was negative).

I have written several times before that the form "Yahweh" is an
artificial construction, which has no basis whatsoever in ancient
Hebrew manuscripts. Today we cannot know how YHWH originally was
pronounced, but  on the basis of my work with the issue for more than
two decades, my view as a scholar is that the YEHOWA  (the last he
being taken as a vowel) is the best reconstruction we can make on the
basis of the evidence. This is not a sectarian but a philological
conclusion! I would even say that there is evidence that the Aramaic
form YHW from Elephantine may have been pronounced as YEHOWA rather
than YAHO, which is the universal viewpoint.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo