[b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Fw: Re: Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110...

TedBro at aol.com TedBro at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 09:55:58 EDT 2010

Hi, All:

I'm not sure if a discussion of epistemological questions is appropriate to
 this list... but much of what we discuss here comes down to differences
between  scientific and religious approaches to evidence and knowledge.

The ideal scientist should be unbiased, with no emotional, social,
religious or personal preference for one view over another, able to weigh  evidence
and come down on whichever side makes the best argument.

The ideal religionist, in contrast, is committed to specific set of beliefs
 and often has taken a vow to uphold them and often is willing to die
rather than  recant. They tend to be more apologists for a specific perspective
than real  investigators. Scholarship becomes then a vehicle for finding good
arguments to  support a preexisting position.

That doesn't mean that in practice the scientist is more factual, more
logical or more correct than the religionist. In practice  scientists have
strong biases, often in opposition to faith-based  positions, but they are
better at hiding it.

Likewise, religionists tend to have a more coherent outlook while the
scientist may look at every issue in a microscope and end up with a patchwork.
Reasonably, anyone who reads / studies a text as a sacred text is looking
for  inspiration, guidance, and carries a perspective that is more in line
with the  author / redactor's motives for creating the text than the objective
scholar.  Due to this shared faith between reader and author, they may have
a leg up  in understanding what the text is saying.

To be specific, some of our list members are inseparably attached to the
form Jehovah due to their religious affiliation. As far as I'm concerned they
 are most welcome to participate on this list with their faith-based
orientation  intact. But they should know that others will often find their
perspective preachy and sectarian. Let's try to facilitate understanding  rather
than polarization.

Peace,
Ted Brownstein

In a message dated 6/29/2010 8:53:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,