[b-hebrew] Fw: Re: Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1 ]

davedonnelly1 at juno.com davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Fri Jun 25 18:58:56 EDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: <davedonnelly1 at juno.com>
To: jc.bhebrew at googlemail.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:04:50 -0400
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1
]

Hi James,

You asked me: Are you for or against translating as Jehovah?

James; If Jehovah is a legitimate name for God, of course I want to use
that name.

James; If Jehovah is not a legitimate name for God, of course I do not
want to use that name.

I do not know what is true about the name Jehovah.

JUST IN PASSING, JAMES,  CAN YOU PREFIX NATHAN WITH JEHOVAH AND PRODUCE
THE THEOPHORIC NAME "YEHONATHAN".

I sort of think that I can, but I never asked Garth to verify if he
thought that my method was legitimate..

Gesenius has said:
"Also those who consider that Yehowah was the actual pronunciation
are not without ground on which to defend their opinion;
in this way can the abbreviated syllables Yeh and Yo,
with which many proper names begin,
be more satisfactorily explained."

Of course as far as I know Gesenius did not believe that the vowels in
the underlying Hebrew of Jehovah were the actual vowels of God's name,
althought he was very up front about saying that the vowels in the
underlying Hebrew of Jehovah were not the same as those vowels found in
"Adonai"

___

James, I am very sceptic al about some of the evidence that has been
presented to defend various Hebrew teachings that Jehovah was not meant
to be pronounced "AS IT WAS WRITTEN".

I recognize that, in my particular situation [with my limited
understanding of Hebrew]  some of the evidence that I have heard is far
beyond my ability to understand!!!

However, the evidence that I have heard, that is far beyond my
understanding, does not seem to deal with the situation as it exists in
the Leningrad Codex and in the Ben Chayyim Hebrew Text of 1525 A.D.

James:  Could you write something in your own words, to explain what the
Jewish reader sees in the Hebrew word [Yod-shewa-He-defective
holem-waw-qamets-he] that indicates to him or her that the Masoretes did
not want that Hebrew word to be pronounced "as it was written".

Dave Donnelly

P.S.

Have you read Gesenius's page long article on this issue, of the name
"Jehovah"?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:00:17 +0300 James Christian