[b-hebrew] Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1

davedonnelly1 at juno.com davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Thu Jun 24 09:50:00 EDT 2010

On Wed Jun 23 22:49:01 EDT 2010 , Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
wrote:

Jason,

Please comment on the issue and not on Dave's knowledge of Hebrew.
If you feel that there's nothing more to say on the matter - don't.

Dave, we've had this discussion before.
If you have anything new to say - please do.
If you have a point to make - make it.

If not, the thread is closed.

Yigal Levin
Co-moderator, B-Hebrew

Yigal,

I felt that something new was involved in this issue,
because two separate members of  B-Hebrew had used the word "Jehovah",
when commenting on both Psalm 110:1 and on Psalm 16:2

It was my understanding that specific rules were established by the
Masoretes,
that did not allow reading "Jehovah" ,
when [Yod-shewa-he-defective holem-waw-qamates-he] occurred in the Hebrew
Text.

Now it my understanding that [Yod-shewa-he-defective
holem-waw-qamates-he]
occurs in neither Psalm 110:1 nor in Psalm 16:2

I was hoping that some member of B-Hebrew would explain
what Hebrew word that is found in Psalm:110:1 can be rendered as
"Jehovah"
and
what Hebrew Word that occurs in Psalm 16:2 can be rendered as  "Jehovah"

It is  my opinion that that is a legitimate question that could,
and should be answered on B-Hebrew.

It is my opinion that the answer to that question would help me immensely

in understanding how the 5 variants of YHWH
[other than Hebrew Word #3036]
that occur in the Leningrad Codex, should be rendered in the English
Language.

Is is settled that [Yod-shewa-he-defective holem-waw-qamates-he]
should never be rendered as "Jehovah, by a Jewish reader,
no matter what other circumstances exist, in the Hebrew Text.

Dave Donnelly

P.S.

Is it acceptable to use  the term "Hebrew Word # 3068 on B-Hebrew?

Is it acceptable to use [Yod-shewa-he-defective holem-waw-qamets-he] on
B-Hebrew?