[b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Jun 23 16:38:03 EDT 2010

James,
Let's put it this way: I know as much about computational linguistics as I do about advanced
math, if you saw my comment to Eric.

I don't believe language can be quantified the way that  most mathematicians and
computational folks would like.  My approach to syntax has three parts: base rules,
transformations, and what I call social convention.   This last is a fairly nebulous category,
but basically it means that there are certain aspects of language usage that we can only
explainby appealing to the fact that  a society chooses to do it  that way.  I don't really have
any examples from Hebrew yet, but in biblical Greek a couple of examples would be the
"historic present" that we see all over the place in Mark, and the way that neuter plural
subjects take a singular verb.