[b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Tue Jun 22 11:58:00 EDT 2010

On 21 Jun 2010 at 8:20, James Christian wrote:

> Ok. Any ideas how you would implement this such that the grammar
> would not over generate?
> Have you made any implementations of your scheme? James Christian

As I said, the constraints you are talking about are in the semantic component.  We can
take a phrase like Chris Rice's famous song "Smell the Color Nine" and see that it's
syntactically well-formed, but semantic nonsense.  My dad used to jokingly use the phrase
"Is you speaking to I?"  This one is a little more problematic, but in a sense is still
syntactically well-formed at a deep grammar level.  It includes a subject, verb and
preposition with object.  But there are agreement and case problems, obviously.  As I see it,
those are surface level aspects, i.e. the clause becomes badly formed by filling the slots
with deliberate  mismatches: "You" in English takes a different form of the verb, and "I" in
English is used exclusively as a nominative.  Where such distinctions exist, they may or
may not be part of the actual syntactic component of grammar; I haven't really thought that
through yet.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur