[b-hebrew] Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 19:11:04 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Dave Donnelly wrote:
> Recently two separate members of B-hebrew discussed translations of Psalm
> 16:2 and Psalm 110:1 in which the translation "Jehovah" was used. Neither
> member criticized the use of Jehovah in the translation of these two
> verses.
>
> Is it now acceptable to use Jehovah in the translation of these two
> psalms???????

Hello Dave,

When I quoted that particular translation, I felt extremely uncomfortable.

For all kinds of various reasons, though, I left it as it was.
Primarily, I didn't want
to reopen a discussion on Jehovah vs Yahweh vs the Lord which would have taken
the discussion off-track.  Also among the reasons, it was a quote and
I felt that
even if I had an extreme discomfort with his quote it is best to quote verbatim
than to change the author's own words.

Yitzhak Sapir