[b-hebrew] Unpointed

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Thu Jun 17 20:00:00 EDT 2010

On 18/06/2010 3:31 AM, K Randolph wrote:
> Randall and James:
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Randall Buth<randallbuth at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> When interpreting the MT, it is always good to remember that
>> the masoretes knew Hebrew.
>>

> That’s not the question. The question is how well did they know Biblical
> Hebrew?
>
> First of all, the Masoretes were human and their pointing a human
> development. As that popular modern paraphrase of Romans 3:23a states, “To
> err is human”, therefore we cannot assume that their points are without
> error.
> b-hebrew

But surely the original writer, and every copier and/or editor from then
until now, also was human?  Does that mean we must give up on the Hebrew
(and obviously Greek as well) Scriptures because they were written by
humans, and therefore in the end, to every question, all we can say is
that we don't really know?  I may be misreading your posts over the
years, but it seems as if you want to remove all tools for helping us to
understand the Hebrew Scriptures - later Hebrew, cognate languages,
tradition, much of history, linguistics, etc - and leave us with just
the bare text.  But if we take your proverb "to err is human" seriously,
can we even trust that?

Kevin Riley