[b-hebrew] Initial Consonant Clusters in Biblical Hebrew

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Sat Jun 12 18:39:40 EDT 2010

When the speakers of language A come across a word in language B that
doesn't fit the syllable structure of their language, they treat it as
if it does.  If language A has ka-$ra and language B allows ka$-ra but
not ka-$ra, it will be heard as ka$-ra.  Most English speakers don't
beleive they have any trouble saying 'Tonga' or 'Mangaia'.  They simply
make the -ng- syllable final and don't even notice that 'natives'
pronounce them as syllable initial.  I don't see why Semitic speakers
would be different and change a word they can pronounce.

Kevin Riley