[b-hebrew] Terakh

jimstinehart at aol.com jimstinehart at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 14:31:52 EDT 2010

The earliest references to the Chaldeans spell the name with an L.  That’s mat kaldi by the Assyrians, referring to the land of the Chaldeans, and of critical importance the Babylonians themselves always refer to the Chaldeans with an L:  “BTW, you must take into account that in the Bible the Chaldeans are called kasdim <kasdu, whereas in the Babylonian inscriptions they are already called kaldu….”  1/4/2000 post by Jonathan D. Safren, Dept. of Biblical Studies, Beit Berl College, Israel.

There is no basis in secular history whatsoever for the proposition that the Chaldeans had earlier been called Kasdim, or ever had any letter other than L for the second letter in their name.

Prof. Yigal Levin wrote:  “The Bible uses "Kasdim" for the 1st millennium Babylonians in books like Kings, Jeremiah and Daniel, because at that time, the Neo-Babylonian Empire was in fact ruled by a "Kasdi/Chaldean" dynasty (this includes the infamous Nebuchadnezzar).”

But unlike later books in the Bible, Genesis 11: 28, 31 is  n-o-t  referring to “the 1st millennium Babylonians”, that’s for sure.  We should then consider whether those later books in the Bible picked up K%DYM from Genesis 11: 28, 31 and applied that Biblical word, somewhat anachronistically, to the later Chaldeans.  We should not assume that Daniel is correct in using the word Kasdi to refer to the Chaldeans, since Daniel is so unreliable.  Rather, if we look to the Late Bronze Age, Kasdim is redolent of Karaduniyas under Kadasman and the Kassites, and the Chaldeans are not yet in existence.

On 5/23/09 Prof. Yigal Levin wrote:  “[U]se of the term "Ur Kasdim" (Ur of the Chaldees) [at Genesis 11: 28, 31] is an obvious anachronism, since the "Kasdim/Chaldeans" are a Aramean tribe not known before the 9th century BCE.”  That is simply not true.  Kasdim at Genesis 11: 28, 31 is appropriate Late Bronze Age nomenclature for Karaduniyas under Kadasman and the Kassites.  In the Patriarchal narratives (unlike the rest of the Bible), Kasdim has nothing to do whatsoever with the not-yet-in-existence Chaldeans.

It’s not fair to talk about an “anachronism” in the Patriarchal narratives unless that charge is based on secular history, rather than such charge being based on post-exilic books in the Bible such as Daniel.  If we’re talking secular history, then here’s the brute fact:

The Chaldeans are  n-e-v-e-r  referred to by anyone outside of the Bible as Kasdim!

There is no anachronism at Genesis 11: 28, 31.  In the Late Bronze Age and at Genesis 11: 28, 31, K%DYM meant the people of Karaduniyas of the Kassites, whose ruler at time of Genesis 11: 28, 31 was Kadasman.  The rest of the Bible was composed in the 1st millennium BCE.  Later books in the Bible simply picked up this ancient word K%DYM from the Patriarchal narratives and, somewhat inappropriately, applied it to the Chaldeans.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois