[b-hebrew] Dating the Book of Ruth

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 21:05:10 EDT 2010

Bryant Williams asks about the arguments for a late dating of Ruth. Since this goes beyond the original thread in which it was placed, I've changed the subject name. Please continue the thread here.

What do we make of some of the personal names in Ruth:

Mahlon = 'Critically ill' (Guess what he does: he dies!)
Chilion = 'Terminally ill' (Guess what he does: he dies!)
Orpah = 'Back-of-the-neck girl' (Guess what she does: she turns her back on Naomi)
Ruth = 'companion' (Guess what she does: she acts as Naomi's companion)
Naomi = 'Sweetie' (She's anything but, and she knows it, too)
Boaz = 'Strongly/Lively' (Guess what he does: he comes to the rescue)

Should these wordplays figure in a discussion on the dating of the book of Ruth?

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au