[b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew orthographical practices in light ofepigraphy

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 13:15:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:
> Dear Yitzhak,

> Therefore, when a person questions your theory/position regarding the statements
> you made, and your responses to them, it is to thoroughly understand your
> position so as to provides data/evidence in support or against your
> theory/position.
>
> So, please state as succinctly as possible your theory/position regarding the
> orthographic evidence regarding the late date of Ruth.
>
> I thank you.
>
> Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

Hello Bryant,

Here is my succinct statement about the orthographic evidence regarding the
late dating of Ruth:

1) I believe the linguistic evidence on Ruth is circumstantial.

2) I believe the linguistic evidence suggests Ruth is to be dated
early rather than
late, because of the -ty 2fs suffixes in some verses, which I believe reveal a
situation of early orthography.  However, this is circumstantial.

3) I am not really interested in discussing this issue further as it
relates to my
own private but more importantly unvalidated research.

Yitzhak Sapir