[b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

Arnaud Fournet fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jul 30 02:49:48 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz at yahoo.com>
To: <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:53 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

As for the onging discussion about the origin of the name
 )RYH  here are two points:

Accepted criterion of the presence of various ethnic groups
 in a given area, at a given time, are personal names. Now,
 an examination of the preserved PNs in the EA lettters
 clearly indicates a good percentage of 'Indo -European'
 background in the Western Levant at that time.
   The term includes not only the rulers, or "kings",
 in Canaan, but also
elsewhere in states likle Amurru, or cities like Gubla,
 which eventually became Phoenician.
***
It's unclear to which extent people who bear Mitanni Aryan names are really
Mitanni-Aryan-speakers or just Hurrians with some honorific Aryan-sounding
names.
In all cases, if we have rulers with Mitanni Aryan names then we should
expect Hurrian followers.

A.
***

All very far from Hatti.
 For details one can check the monograph of Richard S. Hess
 on the Amarna Names.
***
Very far!?
Next door in my opinion.
By the way, a Hatti word just for the fun: ben, bin "child, son". it's
*Hatti* language.
Cf. Teli-binu, Dala-binu, etc.
A.
***

As for names with theophoric suffix -YH in the HB ,
 they're quite common in the HB. Just note the names
 of the prophets Zekharyah, Zephaniyah,
Ovadyah.

Sometimes the ending - YH interchanges with -YHW.
 Note the name Hizqiyahu/Hizqiyah.

 In fact, the -YH ending is the standard in post-exilic
 extra-biblical, Yhawistic names, while the -YHW ending
 is the standard in pre-exilic extra-biblical sources such
 as bullae, Lakhish, Arad and so forth.
***

So the frequency of this name-formation actually supports the idea that
original *urhiya may have been emended into uri-yah, which makes more sense
from the Hebrew point of view.

Arnaud Fournet