[b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

Arnaud Fournet fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 29 01:20:02 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: K Randolph
To: Arnaud Fournet
Cc: JimStinehart at aol.com ; b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:14 AM
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] H-XT-Y at II Samuel 11: 3

If we keep with the Hurro-Urartian idea WRYH could be ur(i)hi "true". It is
attested as person name.
It makes more sense than ebri.

Arnaud Fournet
***

I just want to be sure, but as I understand what you are saying, )WRYH could
very well be a Hittite name, originally pronounced something like Uwrihi
instead of the commonly written Uriah?

The reason I am asking is because I never thought of it this way before, but
it sounds like it would make sense if Uriah truly were a Hittite.
Thanks.
Karl W. Randolph.

***
I don't know much Hittite but I don't think Uwrihi could be Hittite
(=Anatolian Indo-European).
It can be a Hurro-Urartian person name without much difficulty. The shape
fits well and this name is attested.
This would mean that "Hett-" is rather loosely applied to any kind of Non
Semitic people in the north.

Arnaud Fournet