[b-hebrew] Pharaoh Khepera'a in Jeremiah 44:30

Will Parsons wbparsons at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 27 17:05:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:07:27 +0200, "Arnaud Fournet" <fournet.arnaud at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons at alum.mit.edu>

I have no opinion of the presence or absence of the sound corresponding to
ayin in Coptic.  I see no need to postulate that it "fused" with a glottal
stop (which is what I assume you mean by "aleph").  If we ignore the
possible presence of a pharyngial at the end of the word, the Coptic
spelling indicates [re:] with a long vowel.  My point was that a
transcription from the 14th century BC cannot be used to claim that "ri`a"
is the pronunciation of the word in the 5th century.

--
William Parsons