[b-hebrew] How expensive would it be to allow Members of b-hebrew to use Hebrew Unicodes in their messages here?

Kirk Lowery Kirk at GrovesCenter.org
Tue Jul 27 08:43:44 EDT 2010

On 07/27/2010 08:27 AM, davedonnelly1 at juno.com wrote:

> How much would it cost B-Hebrew to make it possible for members of
> B-hebrew to use Biblical  Hebrew unicodes on B-hebrew.

B-Hebrew members can use Unicode Hebrew now in their messages.

The problem in display comes in the email software members use to read
B-Hebrew posts. You must have "UTF-8" as the encoding that is set for
interpreting email. You must also have a decent Unicode Hebrew font for
ease of reading, although the default Arial found on most systems will
display Hebrew.

One reason why the

"{{Hebrew|יְהֺוָה}}"

style does not work for B-Hebrew posting is that we have set the list
software so that html codes are not permitted and are stripped out. The
reason for this prohibition? A lot of viruses are transmitted via html
(so-called "webmail") and ibilio.org gets upset if its servers are used
to spew viruses around the world!

Another limitation for display of Hebrew is that accents and other
diacritics are not handled as well as consonants and vowels are. Here's
Gen 1:1 with cantillation:

 בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

And here it is without accents:

 בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ

Do both display correctly? Then your email program is correctly set and
your font is a good one. If the top one does not display correctly, then
that's a font and an operating system issue.

The best we can hope for is that the second line will display properly
for everyone. And that is a matter of each member learning how Unicode
Hebrew works for their computer/software setup.

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD, President & Senior Research Fellow
The J. Alan Groves Center for Advanced Biblical Research