[b-hebrew] Embedding Hebrew in HTML

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 12:44:13 EDT 2010

Ken:

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Kenneth Litwak <javajedi2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I am putting some journal article titles and abstracts on to a web page.
>  As it happens (a rare event), there are three Hebrew words in one of the
> abstracts.  What is the easiest, fastest way to put a few Hebrew words into
> HTML?  I don't suppose I can put a CSS tag in for "FONT=HEBREW" can I?  That
> would be too simple I suppose.  I've not posted Hebrew on the web or in
> email ever so I'm not set up with Unicode or anything like that.  My source
> is a Word doc but I don't know what font was used there, as what I got is
> gibberish.  I have the actual printed journal to use for the Hebrew words.
>  Thanks.
>
> Ken
>
> How far are you able to control the html in the web pages?

When I post to the web, I use either a Macintosh or Linux box because I can
have both of them default to UTF-8 encoding. I don’t know how to do that in
Windows™ or if it is even possible. UTF-8 encoding not only allows me to
enter any language, but also special characters in English like n-dash,
m-dash, bullets (even make them using dingbats), quotes instead of inches,
apostrophes instead of feet, and so forth. This is my 2¢.

To encode a web page in UTF-8, I add after the header,
<BODY lang="UTF-8" DIR="LTR">
then type away.

Incidentally, Gmail uses UTF-8 as its default encoding.

Or you can do as Steve Miller mentions.

Karl W. Randolph.